Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mini Book Club - Creation

The Medieval Mind
Rather than simply doing a book report on Manchester's A World Lit Only by Fire, I decided to combine it with a digital literacy lab on Wordle. This is a free online program that lets you write in or link to any amount of text (as far as I know) and it will automatically arrange them in countless ways as you can see above. It also lets you alter things including word size, font, color, layout, etc, if there are particular words that you want to stick out more than others.

I only did this one on the first section of Manchester's book, "The Medieval Mind", that sets up much of the physical and ideological background leading up to the Renaissance. I didn't have access to the book online so I couldn't just copy and paste the whole section, but instead I simply picked out words as I read that seemed to describe some of Manchester's major themes. I'll let the rest speak for itself.

1 comment:

  1. That's cool. I like the fonts you used, it brings out the feeling of the culture a little more.

    ReplyDelete